Building a Website site structure is to clarify how the subpages in a Website are linked together by html link tags and how the subpages are hierarchical.
In other words Website structure is the way the information on your Website is organized and presented. A good website site structure facilitates easy navigation for both users and crawlers, helping to improve the website s SEO ranking .
If you are interested in Search Engine Optimization (SEO), then Website structure is an optimization factor that cannot be ignored. Standard SEO website structure is one of the effective SEO levers. It capitalizes on rank growth, and attracts viewers.
The structure of a Website refers to the way the Website is set up, hierarchical, linked to individual pages.
If the structure of the Website is good, it makes it very easy to crawl the Website , search engines, and so that all subpages can be found quickly and easily, although despite having a large portion of the number of subpages.
For this reason, Home (homepage) of the site needs to be associated with the best optical page and those pages must show specific topics that Website is pursuing.
In this article, Chiasenow will guide you to build an effective Website Site Structure . These tips are both good for the data scraping tool and good for the Website visit experience . But before that, lets go over the concept of what is a Website Structure ?
Classification of website structure ?
There are many ways to categorize website structure . Depending on the type of page Website and page purpose Website that developed on the site structure Website Different
1. Classification of website structure through programming concepts
There are many different types of website structure , but the two most common are flat and deep website structures :
Website Structure Flat Website
Pages Website flat is designed in a way that users and search engines that your site can navigate through the Website by you with just a few clicks away from your homepage.
Deep website structure
This type of Website structure makes it take both users and search engines longer to find specific information on your Website . However, it allows you to create pages dedicated to certain topics.
2. Classification of website structure by purpose
If you want to dig into the types of Website structure a little more deeply, then we can cover the following five main types of Website structure based on purpose:
Linear, or sequential structure
The pages are connected in a linear way and all follow a logical path of actions
This model is more common when it comes to creating individual Website pages . The main idea is to walk the user through the process step by step.
From the home page to the services page and to the quote request page. This Website structure works well for small Websites intended to showcase products, services or brands.
Network structure, or linked Website structure .
This is a rare type of website structure where each page can be accessed from any other page.
Site structure This Website may make sense for Websites with limited number of pages and all Websites are Landing Pages, all naturally linked together.
Website structure hierarchical website .
This is one of the most popular types of website architecture . This pattern is similar to a tree with a trunk.
The home page will be the hub, and all the different categories and pages will be affiliates. The Databox is a great example of a Website with a hierarchical Website site structure .
Website structure in matrix form.
This model is considered the oldest website structure on the internet.
The idea is to give users the option to choose where they want to go. Users are navigated through internal links or a search bar.
Site structure This website works especially well with websites that are well optimized for internal website search
Wikipedia is a good example of a matrix model. However, nowadays, pillar pages are a great alternative to this website structure .
Website structure in the form of a database:
Finally, heres a dynamic approach to Website site structure . To create a Website site structure like this, you must consider the metadata of individual pages, adhere to a robust information architecture, and taxonomy best practices.
Why do you need to build a website structure ?
The content presented above shows how important Website architecture is, many Websites ignore this important aspect.
If you have an SEO-friendly structure with smart linking, both users and Google will understand and love your website . But how exactly does a comprehensive structure help with search visibility and optimization?
Chiasenow will give some of the following reasons to see why Website structure is so important.
1. Good site structure Good website will bring great user experience
- Good website structure reasonable website will bring good experience and good response to users
- An effective structure helps make content more relevant to search intent. It allows for better content distribution across Website pages according to different topics and queries.
2. Good Website Structure Improves SEO
Bugs crawl and index pages faster.
- The Googlebot crawler crawls the structure of a Website page , the purpose of which is to index the content in the search results. A good website structure will help visitors crawl and index content more effectively.
- But Website to the sitemap to help search engines (search engines) crawl easier, but the site is strong structure and reasonable will help bots crawl pages that are not in the sitemap.
- The logic behind Website site structure and internal linking not only makes the crawling process easier, but also optimizes crawl budget (the number of pages a search crawler can go to). over a certain period of time). However, note that the crawl budget also depends on the size of the Website .
Good site structure provides site links in search results
Sitelink: Sitelinks are a list format in the SERPs that displays the main page along with some internal links underneath.
Sitelink is a great SEO advantage, increasing user navigation to your Website , showing users the most relevant, most relevant information, increasing your brand reputation.
Google automatically retrieves the most relevant information to create site links Website and the only way you can affect this process is to build a comprehensive structure.
Improve trust with users, help you dominate in SERPs, increase click-through rate (CTR), increase conversion rate.
A good website structure increases the ability of search engines to rank
- Reducing bounce rate, and increasing Time on site (Time on site) these criteria will lead to improved search rankings
- Search engines care about user experience. Ranking in the SERP is connected to the level of ease of use and navigation of a page website . All transitions between pages should be natural and any page should be accessible in no more than 3 clicks.
- Search engines evaluate the entire structure. Although they rank each page individually, they still see the position of a given page in the overall structure of the Website .
In short, building a good website structure paves the way for successful SEO. In fact without a good site structure Website will never have successful SEO.
Good site structure provides an unbreakable SEO foundation and gives your Website a huge amount of traffic from Search Organic.
You cannot keep up with technical SEO without a solid structure. In many respects, technical SEO depends on page crawling and indexing depends on structure.
Knowledge to understand when building SEO standard website structure
1. Home Page (Home Page)
Your homepage should act as a navigation hub for your visitors. This means that you should link to the most important pages to your homepage.
Then you will get the following benefits
- Your visitors have many options for landing on the pages you want them to visit.
- You show Google that these pages are important.
Be careful not to try to link to too many pages from your homepage, as that will cause clutter. And a cluttered homepage wont confuse visitors.
2. Hub page
The hub page is an extremely important summary page for any website , be it an about page or a category page, and has links to subcategories and more detailed topics.
The role of hub pages is as follows:
- Give users an overview of the topic.
- Answer all the questions that interest readers most.
- Link to top services, products, and important sub-topics.
- Enhanced user experience compared to regular category pages.
- Build authority on a particular topic.
Quality Hub pages will have many related links pointing to them => the authority of the Hub page can go to all linked categories and subtopics.
Additionally, you need to increase the authority of your category pages by adding products, posts, or subcategory information.
In particular, the more relevant the pages, the more linked they should be!
3. Links in Website
In addition to having a well-structured homepage and hub page, creating a clear navigational path on your website is also important. Sitewide navigation Your website consists of two main elements: Menus and breadcrumbs.
Website menus are an integral part of your website navigation . Use it as best you can.
Visitors use your menu to find everything on your website . It helps them understand the structure of your website . Thats why the main categories on your website should all have a place in the menu on your homepage.
You dont always order everything in just one menu. If you have a large website with many categories, it can clutter your website and make the main menu not work well. If the content is less important create a second menu.
eBay has a menu at the top of the page (top bar menu) and additionally the main menu. This top bar menu links to important pages that arent product categories, like the ones related to the visitors account above. The main menu reflects the most important product categories on eBay.
Note that you should not add too many links to your menu. If you do, they will become less valuable, both to your users and to search engines.
You can make your website s site structure even clearer by adding links to your pages.
Breadcrumbs are clickable links that are usually displayed at the top of a page or post. Breadcrumbs reflect the structure of your website page . They help visitors locate them on your website .
Path Breadcrumbs help improve the user experience as well as SEO for Page Website Your
Contextual internal linking
For a contextual link, the page you link to must be relevant to the page the visitor is reading.
Example: If you look at the previous paragraph, Chiasenow links to an SEO post, so people can learn more about it if they are interested.
The most important pages you probably often very relevant to mention on some pages across the site Website of you, so you will link to them most often. Just remember that not only is the page youre linking to relevant, but the context of the link is also important.
Google uses the context of your links to collect information about the page youre linking to. Google always uses anchor text (or link text) to understand the content of the page you are linking to. But anchor text isnt the only thing Google looks at.
Today, Google also looks at the content surrounding the link to gather more information. Google is getting better and better at recognizing related words and concepts. Adding links from a meaningful context allows Google to properly evaluate and rank your pages.
Contextual links for blogs
For blogging, you should write a lot about the topics you want to rank for. You should write several main articles (your foundation articles) and write different posts on the sub-topics of that topic.
Then link from these related posts to your foundation articles and from the foundation articles back to the related articles. This way, you will ensure that your most important pages are linked with the most and most relevant links.
Imagine you are looking at a map of a state or country. You will likely see many small towns and some larger cities. All towns and cities will be connected to each other somehow. You will notice that small towns often have roads leading to large cities.
Those cities are your platform, getting the most links. Small towns is your post on more specific topics. There are a number of roads (links) that lead to these smaller towns, but not as many as the larger cities.
Contextual Links for Online Sales Websites
Contextual internal linking works differently for e-commerce websites because they have little or no pages dedicated to providing information.
Visitors dont explore a particular topic on your product pages: they come to buy products. Therefore, on product pages, you mainly want to keep people on the page and convince them to buy the product.
So contextual linking is less effective in this case. In general, you shouldnt add contextual links to your product description, as it can lead to people clicking and bouncing off the purchase page.
There are only a few meaningful ways to add contextual links to product pages:
- Links from a page that sells Combo products to individual products
- Related items or compare similar items
- Product combos or Products that are frequently purchased together.
4. Categorize the content on the page
Other CMSs often have a classification system for grouping content. The word category is basically a term that refers to a group that has something in common within the Website . This is convenient because people looking for more information on the same topic will be able to find similar articles more easily.
You can group content in a variety of ways. Common default taxonomies are categories and tags.
You should divide your blog posts or products on your Website into several categories. If these categories are too large, you should divide them into subcategories.
If you have a fashion store and you sell Shirts, you may decide to split this Shirt category into several subcategories: Short-sleeve, Long-sleeve and Neckless. All of these sub-categories contain fashion products, but they all have one thing in common: specific fashion Austrian products.
Adding this hierarchy and classification to your pages will help your users and Google understand each page you write. When implementing your category structure, make sure to add the main categories to the main menu of your Website .
Page structure Your website will also benefit from adding tags. The difference between categories and tags is mainly related to structure. Hierarchical categories: you can have subcategories and even subcategories. However, tags dont have that hierarchy.
The tag tells the visitor: This article or product has a certain feature that may be interesting to the visitor.
A tag for the fashion store mentioned above can be a brand name, such as LOUIS VUITTON, ADIDAS…
Do not create too many cards. If you add a new tag to each post or article, you wont structure anything. Make sure each tag is used at least twice and that your tags group truly related articles together.
Make sure your tags are available to visitors somewhere, preferably at the bottom of your post or in the sidebar.
5. Landing Pages Landing Page
Landing pages are the ones you want your audience to find when they search for the specific keywords youve optimized for.
Here, we will discuss two types of landing pages:
- Platform page
- Product landing page.
Both are pages you want people to visit from search engines, but they require a completely different approach. But first, well quickly get into search intent, because you have to know what your audience is really looking for.
When setting up your website structure , you need to think about search intent. Its about what you think people are searching for when they type a query into a search engine.
What do people want to find? And: what do they expect to find?
Take the time to think about the different possibilities in search intent, as you may want to cater to different visitors on your website .
- Everyone just looking for an answer to a question or a definition?
- Are they comparing products before making a purchase?
- Or, do they intend to buy something immediately?
This is often reflected in the type of queries they make. You can also use Google search results to create great content that matches the search needs of a certain group of customers.
Once you have an idea of search intent, its essential to make sure your landing page matches your audiences search intent. Pages can answer more than one search intent, but you need a consistent theme for your most important pages.
Foundation content pages in the Website
Foundation articles are the most important informational articles on your website . The focus of these articles is to provide the best and most complete information on a particular topic, the main goal is not to sell products.
Because of this focus, we often think of blogs when we talk about foundational content. Of course, that doesnt mean it can just be a blog post. All Types of Websites Different Websites Have Foundation Articles!
Rule of thumb: if an article gathers everything you know about a topic, its an article with foundational content.
Product landing page
Product landing pages are significantly different from foundation articles. Product landing pages are often written shorter than foundational articles.
Base articles can be made up of thousands of words, but a few hundred are enough for product landing pages. The main focus of your content should be on your product.
Instead of complete articles, product landing pages should be focused on showing what your visitors need to know that can convince them to make a purchase. Buyers dont necessarily understand all of the specifics.
If you want to rank with these sites, then you need to create content for them. That page should be enough for Google to understand what its about and what keywords it should rank for.
6 steps to build SEO standard website structure
Remember the following mindset: Just making it easy for crawlers and users to access the Website is a standard SEO structure.
The basic steps to build an SEO standard website structure are as follows:
- Sketching the site structure diagram of the Website
- Create a URL structure for hierarchical navigation
- Build Main Menu Navigation with HTML or CSS
- Optimizing the number of layers in the Website structure to increase the user experience
- Create other navigation menus
- Planning and implementing internal linking of the entire Website
1. Outline site structure diagram Website
If you are starting out building a website , you are in a great position to plan the best possible site structure for SEO. You can sketch on paper or use Excel or Visio as long as the page structure is well supported.
Hierarchy is a simple and meaningful way to organize information. The hierarchy will also become navigation and URL structure, so everything important starts here.
Some features of the hierarchical tree:
Create a logical hierarchy: Dont complicate this process, keep it simple for your own benefit and easy for search engine crawlers and users to use. Each main category must be unique and distinct. Each subcategory must be related to the parent category.
Keep the number of main categories between 2-7 items. Unless your site is huge like Amazon.com you dont want too many main categories. If there are more than 7 main categories you should review and reorganize to reduce the number of main categories.
Try to create a balance of subcategories within each main category. If one item has 14 sub-categories, another has only 3 sub-items, which leads to imbalance of the hierarchical tree.
Website hierarchy is the beginning of creating a great site structure.
2. Create a URL structure for hierarchical navigation
The second major factor is building a reasonable URL structure. If you have created a reasonable hierarchy, then creating a good URL structure should not be too difficult. The URL structure will be hierarchical as follows:
The URL structure for city is as follows: http://domain/locations/city
3: Build main menu navigation with HTML or CSS
4: Optimizing the number of layers in the website structure to increase the user experience
Website navigation structure of the hierarchy should not be more than 3 levels deep, it will be difficult for both the user and the search engine to have to click many times to reach the desired page.
Especially important content should not be too deep. A website with a good hierarchy does not force users to click more than 3 times to get to all pages.
5: Create other navigation menus
Organize the hierarchy in the menu, the subcategories are dropped down with CSS effects, so using ancho text navigation structure instead of images like that is better for SEO
6: Planning and implementing Internal Link for the entire Website
Internal linking is the framework of the Website to present the content on it as the bones and flesh of the body need to be reasonable and perfect.
Thats why internal linking is important:
- Internal links help navigate website users
- Help establish information hierarchy
- Helps to share Pagerank (link juice ranking power) power among websites .
Create a tight and strong internal link like the muscles, the link of the website structure like the main skeleton of the Website , that gives the same solidity as building a building with good architectural design. .
Common mistakes when building website structure
1. Things to do
Some recommendations of Chiasenow on the process of building website structure Website .
- Regardless of the complexity of your Website s site structure , make sure that each page can be easily accessed, no more than 3 clicks from anywhere on the Website especially from the homepage.
- Dont build a hierarchy based on target keyword search volume, as the most searched query wont always be your top keyword for a given page.
- Identify all the pages on your Website and think about how they are indexed: For example, use noindex and nofollow to limit the indexing of the search results page.
- Make sure that the Website site is extensible and that you will be able to add new categories and subcategories without completely redoing the structure.
2. Things to note
Some things to avoid when working with your website s site structure :
- Lack of clarity in category names: It is difficult for both users and search engines to evaluate a Website s content if the category names are confusing or overlapping.
- Lack of categorization: If the subcategories and filters dont follow a logical and efficient structure, finding a particular page will be difficult. Make sure to design a balanced structure that is all inclusive, but not too detailed that is difficult to navigate or requires too many clicks.
- Page Duplication: Duplicate or identical content placed on different URLs negatively impacts search rankings. Sometimes, CMS or code issues can lead to the creation of duplicate URLs.
- Outdated Information: Ensure that all pages are up to date and free of irrelevant information or unavailable products.
Thank you for viewing the article at Chiasenow. Dont forget to leave your comment to let Chiasenow know what you think!
You can read other articles on the same topic here:
- What is the difference between the 2 tools SFA and CRM? The best choice for modern marketing
- 3C analysis and how to apply 3C model in marketing
- What are external links? Importance of External Links for SEO
- What is Marketing? Definition and implementation
- What is marketing research? Marketing Research Process for Specific Strategies